The Government Blockchain Association (GBA), Healthcare Working Group (HWG), is creating the Blockchain Ethical Design Framework for Healthcare as a service to the public.
Beginning in early 2020, the Government Blockchain Association (GBA) Healthcare Working Group (HWG) began researching and developing an ethical design framework for blockchain solutions in the healthcare industry. The GBA Healthcare Working Group has released the first asset in the Blockchain Ethical Design (BED) Framework for Healthcare in the form of a White Paper. The authors of this whitepaper, which includes healthcare practitioners, technology innovation professionals, ethics thought leaders, and legal representation, propose a theoretical framework of blockchain ethics focusing on design, to use in HIT applications.
The purpose of this publication is to:
- Identify potential ethical issues of blockchain in healthcare.
- Discuss potential ethical issues for healthcare stakeholders including regulatory and compliance segments.
- Propose a conceptual framework of blockchain ethics as it applies to design, implementation and uses in healthcare.
- Create an outline from which the Blockchain Ethical Design (BED) Framework for Healthcare will be developed by the GBA HWG.
- Raise awareness and stimulate further debate on the ethics of blockchain in healthcare IT.
“The GBA has over 50 Working Groups that are exploring how blockchain technology will affect everything from banking to supply chain to identity management. The GBA Healthcare Working Group is a dedicated team of professionals who have volunteered their time and expertise to produce this whitepaper. At this time in history, an ethical framework for utilizing blockchain technology in the healthcare sector is not only helpful but vitally essential.” -Gerard Dache Executive Director, GBA