Peggy Smedley starts the conversation with her thoughts on blockchain and calls the construction industry’s attention to the growing trend. IDC predicts global blockchain spending will increase by 88% from 2018 through the end of 2019. She defines blockchain, offers use cases, and details the benefits blockchain can yield for construction companies. She talks about the construction’s culture and the importance of being able to access and navigate technological advancements. She advises companies to jump over the hurdle, research blockchain platforms, investigate use cases, and determine if blockchain is right for that next big construction project.
She interviews Daniel Cage, Andrea Simo, and Gerard Dache
- Daniel Cage (4:55) – The Cage Group, joins the show and explains what blockchain is, who is involved, what blockchain can do, and how safe the process can be.
- Andrea Simon (17:23) – Andrea Simon, Simon Associates Management Consultants, explicates the history of blockchain, the uses of the technology today, and where the future of blockchain is heading. She shares two cities’ interest in making all financial exchanges through blockchain.
- Gerard Daché (24:32), Gerard Dache is the Executive Director of the Government Blockchain Assn (www.GBAglobal.org). He shares his experience with blockchain, the impact it can have if the government uses the technology to transfer information through a private blockchain. He says blockchain is the most secure way to make transactions.
Peggy concludes the episode by listing the steps construction companies will need to follow in order to embrace blockchain for that next big project. She shares the difficulties behind adopting new technology and advises thorough research. She concludes the show with quick, insightful commentary on everything covered throughout the episode.
This panel included:
- Bryant Nielson – Mr. Nielson is the Executive Director for CapitalWave Inc. and Founder for The Blockchain Academy. CapitalWave is a global training firm that specializes in “Technology Enabled Learning & Training” for corporations and universities for the financial markets. He is passionate about “Blockchain”, and its role in changing how finance will be changed in the next 100 years. He also leads the GBA Education & Training Working Group.
- Gilles Hilary – Mr. Hilary is a Chaired Professor and the Accounting and Business Law Area Coordinator at Georgetown University. He is a founding member of Cercle-K2, a French think-tank on risk management, a Senior Fellow at the Asian Bureau of Finance and Economic Research and Research Fellow at the French Military Police Academy (CREOGN). He organizes Blockchain related events such as the Hyperledger Meet-up series in Washington. He is among the top 0.003% most downloaded authors (out of 427,000) in the Social Science Research Network. Mr. Hilary is a member of several GBA communities and working groups including Economic Analysis, Georgetown University, Law Enforcement, Universities and Colleges, Washington, DC Chapter
- Jim Moran – Mr. Moran served as a Congressman in the US House of Representatives for 24 years. His many assignments have included Committee on Appropriations for Defense, the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies. In these roles, he has provided oversight of trillions of dollars in government spending. Among his many accomplishments, he was voted High Technology Legislator of the Year by the Information Technology Industry Council. He was voted into the American Electronics Association Hall of Fame for his work on avoiding the Year 2000 crisis and his support of the IT Industry and defense contractors in Northern Virginia. In 2012, Mr. Moran was recognized as a “Problem Solver” by the bipartisan grassroots organization known as No Labels, for continued willingness to work across the aisle and find common ground with members of the opposite party on important issues. Mr. Moran’s distinguished career and accomplishments reflect his integrity, courage, and commitment to using technology to make a difference in the lives of all people. Mr. Moran is also on the GBA Government Advisory Committee
- Nabeel Malik – Mr. Malik leads the GBA Mining & Cryptocurrency Working Group. He is also the Founder and President of Cryptolitics. Cryptolitics is a group of cryptocurrency professionals dedicated to facilitating analytics and discussions on current crypto events. They are subject matter experts in digital currency and specializes in mining, cryptocurrency adoption, ICO research and development, taxes and state compliance around digital currency. They provide information on digital currencies that are relevant in today’s market.
The event was moderated by Gerard Dache. He is the founder and Global President of the Government Blockchain Association (GBA). He has decades of experience working in the government contracting field and focussing on process improvement. He has traveled around the world to assess, train and advise organizations on ways to improve business processes. His global experience in process improvement has set the foundation for his leadership role in the GBA.